Saturday, November 28, 2009

M. Jane McClain Gear



[2010] Spouse: George Gear, Lives in Fremont, Indiana, 3 sons, 3 granddaughters, 1 grandson

I attended Indiana University for three years and learned I never really wanted to be a teacher. I married George (John) Gear (South Side '61) in 1964.

In 1972, we moved to Rose Lake, south of Coldwater, Michigan, then the "big move" to San Mateo, California in 1974! Wow...the Pacific Ocean, The Bay Area, earthquakes, forest fires, wine country and four seasons in one state! In 1976, we moved to Pollock Pines, California, in the Sierra foothills, where we enjoyed mountains, historical gold country and proximity to Lake Tahoe.

A somewhat unwelcome transfer in 1980 sent us to Naperville, Illinois, a western suburb of Chicago. The move turned out to be a good one, "YEA CUBS!" After our three sons graduated from college, George and I became empty nesters and moved back to Indiana in 1991. Built our new home on Lake James where we still reside and enjoy the lake life year round.

Family is scattered: Son Jeff in Alameda, California, lives on his yacht..cost effective housing and no taxes! Son Ted and our three granddaughters live in Batavia, Illinois, and Son Jay and our 4-year old grandson and wife life in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

While in Naperville, I began my career in decorating and fabric. For the last 16 years, I was a fabric decorating consultant and buyer for Fabric Works in Fort Wayne. During these working years, my creative skills emerged. I am now recognized as an artist in fabrics, paper, water color and my current emphasis, glass mosaics. I have many outdoor/indoor mosaic works FOR SALE. Anyone interested in a fun paper art class? I wish I could have been aware of my creative talents 50 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment